In October, we at ClimatePlan were elated to announce Governor Newsom’s latest effort to tackle climate change – Executive Order N-19-19 – which required the State Transportation Agency will leverage $5 billion in annual state transportation spending to:
- Align the state’s climate goals with the state’s transportation spending.
- Reduce driving by strengthening the connection between jobs, housing, and transportation.
- Reduce congestion by investing in innovative strategies that encourage people to shift from cars to other modes of transportation.
- Invest in transportation options that improve Californians’ health such as walking, bicycling, and other active modes.
- Mitigate costs for lower-income Californians.
This type of action is critical if California wants to avoid even more destructive wildfires.Read more